Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Aggregate Nonprofit Data for NYS Counties

I have gotten several requests lately for data on nonprofits in our region - how many there are, what their economic impact is, etc. I contacted the National Center for Charitable Statistics who provided me with some data that is available by county. It is based on the filing of a Form 990 with the IRS - a Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.

Based on that operational definition, here are data for each county in New York for their nonprofit organizations including the of registered nonprofits, the number filing the Form 990, as well as their total revenue and assets. Be sure to note this is only revenue and assets for the organizations that have filed with the IRS for 2014. Often this is less than half the organizations registered as nonprofits - I can't explain that, so I am just noting it !

Click to Enlarge